Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 5 - Goodbyes

25km x 2

Today was scheduled as a half day of riding since most people were leaving in the afternoon. We would ride from our hotel to the older heart of the city. Having experience riding in Manhattan, I enjoy riding through cities because there is so much going on at once, pedestrians popping out between parked cars, questionable drivers, and…firecrackers?! When we arrived at our destination, we had a photo fest as this marked the end of the ride. But not all of us were leaving then, and I wasn’t ready to put down my bike. So I found a few other biking junkies and skipped the bus and did the return ride. This time, I was ok with picking up the pace, because I wanted to make sure we were back to say final goodbyes.


It’s tough saying goodbyes after spending such a memorable week together. There was such a strong feeling of bonding I felt from not only riding together with this group, but also working together to support Accenture Hope Schools. I found myself so touched as the buses began to leave, at how strong an impact the experience had made on me. This entire journey has been a character building experience for myself, and getting to know some of the execs who have been working towards this effort for years has given me more of a vision of the type of person I want to be, both in my professional and personal life. And it has been very eye-opening to get such a ground level view of rural China, to see the daily hardships of survival, and see how much of an impact education of the new generations can bring to these communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment